Breastfeeding at U of T
The Family Care Office has prepared a list of places on the three U of T campuses to breastfeed (or chestfeed) your child. These places are comfortable, quiet, some are private, and some are open to pumping in addition to breastfeeding. Please remember, however, it is your right to breastfeed anywhere on campus!
St. George Campus
St. George Campus Map of Family-Friendly Locations
APUS, Sidney Smith Hall, 100 St. George Street, Room SS1089
- Private, quiet space is available for breastfeeding during the day on a drop-in basis.
- Hours: Monday to Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
Athletic Centre Complex, Warren Stevens Building,
55 Harbord St., 1st Floor
- Space for breastfeeding is available in the lobby off the Classic Ave entrance.
- More private space is available in the 50m Pool Gallery or the Pool Gallery for the Teach Pool (children's pool).
- Baby change stations in the public washrooms on the 1st Floor (Room 1057 and 1058)
Athletic Centre Complex, Clara Benson Building,
320 Huron St., (2 breastfeeding locations in the building)
- Restrictions: Require student or membership ID to enter the building.
- 3rd Floor, Room 315
- This room is adjacent but entirely separate to a washroom and has a comfortable couch for breastfeeding
- Student Lounge, 2nd floor, is also available for breastfeeding but is generally not a private or very quiet space
- Baby change stations in the 2nd Floor washrooms of 55 Harbord St. (Room 2053 and 2054), however, membership ID would be required. Also, with membership ID you can access baby change stations in B59 Women's Main Change, and Room, B29 Family Change Room.
Brennan Lounge, Brennan Hall (81St. Mary Street) of St. Michael's College.
- Comfortable though not private space where you could breastfeed.
- Lounge is located on the first floor and has a small quiet seating area which adjoins the women's washroom, which is located across from the Chaplaincy office.
Centre for Women and Trans People,
563 Spadina Avenue, Room 100
- Private, cozy space available for breastfeeding and pumping during the day on a drop-in basis.
- Contact the Centre at 416-978-8201 or email@example.com for their hours.
- Also has an unsupervised area with books, toys, crayons and more where you and your child could play.
Chemistry Department, Family Room, Lash Miller Chemical Laboratories, 80 St. George Street
- Only for Chemistry students, postdocs, faculty and staff who have a lab key, you can access a Family Room, situated in the Graduate Student Lounge in Room 406A of Lash Miller.
- This room is a dedicated space to (breast)feed babies, pump, change diapers and entertain children
- Baby change station is found in the Family Room
Early Learning Centre, 7 Glen Morris Street
- Space available for breastfeeding and pumping.
- You are able to buzz the front door entrance at 7 Glen Morris St. between 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Baby change station also available.
Family Care Office, Koffler Student Services Centre,
214 College Street, Main Floor
- Comfortable, clean, quiet waiting room which can be used to breastfeed and depending on the time of day you may have access to a private office for breastfeeding and pumping.
- Baby change stations can be found in the connected, adjacent building — Bahen Centre for Information Technology, 40 St. George St. in the women's and men's washrooms on the first floor by the cafeteria
Grad Room, 66 Harbord Street (Corner of Harbord and Spadina)
- Lounge area and a multi-purpose space on the lower level
- Graduate students are welcome to breastfeed in the lounge area but as this area can be crowded you may prefer to sign-out the multi-purpose room when it is not in use.
- Hours for the Grad Room are: Monday to Friday, from 7 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends. The multi-purpose room is only available for booking M-F from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, Map and Reading Rooms
- Both rooms are comfortable, public areas that are available for breastfeeding.
- If you prefer privacy to either breastfeed or pump, you can request a key at the HUB (open 7 a.m. - 11:45 p.m.) for the North Sitting Room (when not in use). This room has a chair and power source. You will be required to leave your T-Card or a piece of photo ID at the HUB to check out a key for this room. Hart House does have an elevator.
- Baby change stations are in in the washrooms opposite the Arbor Room on the lower level (Room 159 (Women's) & 160 (Men's)) and in the single user accessible washroom on the ground floor opposite the Great Hall (Room 1030).
Health and Well-being Programs and Services, 263 McCaul Street, 2nd Floor
- Quiet but not a private space that could be used for breastfeeding between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.. Directions: Enter through the main entrance of University of Toronto Health Sciences Building, 155 College Street (Lawrence Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing) on the southeast corner of McCaul and College Streets. Take the elevator to the second floor. Follow signs for "Wheel Chair access to 263 McCaul Street". The directions will take you to a crossover bridge leading to the second floor of 263 McCaul Street.
- Health Sciences Building, 155 College St., has a baby change station in their Men's and Women's washrooms on the 6th floor.
Medical Sciences Building (MSB), 1 King's College Circle, 3rd Floor
- Secure, designated breastfeeding/pumping room with a change table. The key to this room can be signed out at the Office of Health Professions Student Affairs, Fitzgerald Building, 150 College St., Room 121 for each single use between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday. A key to this room can also be signed out from the department of Facilities Management and Space Planning in MSB 2356.
O.I.S.E., 252 Bloor St. W. (2 breastfeeding locations in the building)
- The First Aid Room (C-171) on the concourse level can be accessed for breastfeeding between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. by visiting the Mail Room (C-100, near the elevators) to ask for access. After 4:30 p.m., students may request access via the security desk in the lobby. If you would like to arrange evening access in advance, please contact Jeananne Robertson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Early Learning Centre (O.I.S.E. site), can offer a comfortable breastfeeding and pumping location. Women need to buzz a staff member to be let in and this area is available from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. weekdays. From Monday to Friday between 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. all staff may be in the playground area and so you would not be able to enter the child care centre during that time.
Baby change station is located in the women's washroom on the 5th Floor.
Organizational Development & Learning Centre (ODLC), 215 Huron St., 6th Floor
- Private breakout rooms that can be used for breastfeeding and pumping. A room would almost always be available between 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., but please call Chris at 416-978-2066 to confirm.
- Baby change station found in the single user accessible washroom on the 6th floor
Robarts Library, 130 St. George Street, 8th floor, Room 8037
- A side room adjoining but separate from a women's washroom in Room 8037, on the 8th floor is available for breastfeeding. This room is a quiet space and does have an electrical outlet so that you could also pump. To access this room you can take the escalator or elevator to the 2nd floor. Then take the elevator which accesses floors 2, 7, 8, and 14 to the 8th floor.
- Baby change stations can be found in accessible washrooms 1-013, 3-053, 3-005.
Rotman School of Management, 105 St. George Street, South Building Room 3091
- Space is accessible by Rotman students, faculty, staff.
- This room is a shared space however controlled access has been implemented to ensure privacy for breastfeeding and pumping.
- Access is managed through the front desk, email@example.com or 416-946-7557, to reserve the space and sign out a key. The space is accessible from 6:30 am to 9 pm during Monday to Friday during building hours of operation. Weekend access can be facilitated when booked in advance.
- The room is set up with soft seating, table and small refrigerator.
- Baby change station can be found in the single user accessible washroom, South Building, lower level room LL1001.
Sussex Court, 21 Sussex Avenue, 4th floor Student Lounge, Room 421
- Student lounge is a quiet and comfortable location to breastfeed and pump.
- The building has a short flight of stairs to the main entrance (you can access a lift from street level to the main entrance), and an elevator inside that will accommodate a stroller. Generally this room is open weekdays from 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Baby change station in its Single User Washroom on the 4th floor, Room 402.
Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre (TPASC), 875 Morningside Ave
- Ask at the Front Desk and staff will find you a space that is convenient and private for breastfeeding. It will likely be in the First Aid Centre or the Daycare Centre that are both steps away from the Front Desk on the main floor.
UTSC Equity and Diversity Office, Bladen Wing, Room BV536
- Private spot for both breastfeeding and for pumping.
- To make arrangements to use this space, please contact Amorell Saunders N'Daw at 416-208-2241 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bladen Wing (BV) has baby change stations in the Men's washroom (B200) and the Women's washroom (B220) on the second floor by the Tim Horton's.
The Women and Trans* Centre, Student Centre, SL224
- An open, inclusive space for breastfeeding and pumping. Can use the couches, cushions and blankets in our office. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Please contact Jessica Chan at 647-667-8721 or email: email@example.com.
- The Centre is open between 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Scarborough Campus Students' Union (SCSU) in the Student Centre — Room SL-108 has baby change stations in the Women's and Men's washrooms.
Erindale Hall, Department of Historical Studies, Room 208
Quiet space with low traffic which would be suitable for breastfeeding and pumping.
Available hours are Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Health & Counselling Centre, Davis Building, Rm 1123
- A semi private area that staff try to make available for breastfeeding and pumping pending clinic flow.
- There is a refrigerator with freezer available for holding any milk pumped.
- Open Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (other than statutory holidays and university closures.)
Instructional Centre, 2nd and 3rd floor
- For breastfeeding, you can use the small seating areas that are not private, but are quiet, have comfortable chairs and beautiful views.
If you require more information on breastfeeding spaces or other family, pregnancy and parenting issues, please contact the Family Care Office at 416.978.0951 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.