Financial & Legal

Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE)

Information about Wills by Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE).

Assistive Devices Program

The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care runs the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) to help people who have long-term physical disabilities get needed equipment and supplies.

Assistive Devices Program for Mobility Devices

Canada Revenue Agency Seniors

Topics/services specifically for seniors on the Canada Revenue Agency website.

Estate Planning, Wills, Trusts

Information from the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General

Ontario Seniors' Secretriat

Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee

The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee is part of the Family Justice Services Division of the Ministry of the Attorney General, Ontario, Canada. The Office is responsible for protecting mentally incapable people, protecting the public's interest in charities, searching for heirs, investing perpetual care funds, and dealing with dissolved corporations

Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan

Links to information on the Old Age Security Program and the CPP including general, benefit, and payment information as well as fact sheets.

Ontario Seniors' Secretariat – Financial Security & Planning Fact Sheets

These sheets include what older Canadians should know about financial planning, Income & Benefits from Government Programs, Managing & Protecting Assets, Planning for Possible Loss of Independence, Future Housing Needs, Having a Will & Making Funeral Plans, Financial Abuse, Frauds & Scams. The sheets are located at the bottom of the page.

Ontario Seniors' Secretariat – Legal Matters, Human Rights and End of Life

Topics include legal aid, advance care planning, wills & estates, when someone dies.

Powers of Attorney and "Living Wills"

Publication by the Ontario Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee.

The Family Care Office does not endorse any of the organizations listed here, and we do not assume any responsibility for the accuracy of the statements and/or the quality of services provided by these organizations.

Resource for U of T employees and their dependents

Call the Employee and Family Assistance Program — Homewood Health™ for personal and in-depth assistance with your elder care concern.

Homewood Health™ has eldercare specialists on staff to work with you and your eldercare situation.

  • Receive an immediate needs assessment and customized information to follow.
  • Their specialists can speak directly with the elderly person as part of your needs assessment and provide information on arranging an independent provider for an in-home assessment.
  • Obtain resources pertaining to home care services, understanding long term care and other housing options, dementia care, end-of-life care, and legal referrals for Wills and Powers of Attorney.

To start, call 1-800-663-1142.

You may also register for the Member Services area of the Homewood Health™ website. This will give you access to their on-line Eldercare Resource Locator to help you find home care, residential care, community services or financial support for an elderly loved one.